Rippa Rugby Tournament Recount

Rippa Tournament 

• Recount of what happened in that day   –

By: Justine

INTRO

“ On the 29th of August, 2023 a Rippa Tournament occurred on Mt. Wellington War Memorial Reserve, a group of St. Patrick’s students joined the tournament to represent St. Patricks. ”

PREPARING

“ On the 29th of August some of the Room 7, 6 and 8 kids were playing football as always. At 8:45, the time the bell rings, we prepared for the long walk to Mt. Wellington War Memorial Park. Before the walk, Mr. Bell told us the rules to what to do and not to do, then we started walking to the place of the tournament. ”

MAKING THE CAMP / MAT 

PRACTISING

“ When we arrived, the teachers and parents immediately placed down the mat, after they placed down the mat we placed our bags down and took our shoes off. When we took our shoes off we then called the groups; St. Patricks 1(Yellow) and St. Patricks 2(Green). The groups split up to practise their passing, running and also did a little bit of Touch Rugby as well. ”

WATCHING MATCH (STONEFIELDS vs GLEN TAYLOR)

“ Mr. Bell alarmed us that the first match was happening, Stonefields vs Glen Taylor. I mostly supported Stonefields since I never knew how to pronounce ‘Glen Taylor’ for some reason, but I still supported Glen Taylor whenever they had an opportunity to score and when they scored. I never knew who won since Mr. Bell told us that our first match was happening. ”

WATCHING MATCH (TAMAKI 1 vs TAMAKI 2) 

FIRST MATCH (ST PATRICKS 2 vs GLEN INNES)

“ Before we started, we got to watch Tamaki 1 vs Tamaki 2. Once again, I never knew the winner since the ref(referee) never told us and also, we never asked. After their match, we went to fight Glen Innes. To be honest, I was scared. The kids were big, fast as well. In the end, we won by 2 points(4-2). We were so happy that we won the first round and we did a line and handshaked as a sign of GG(Good Game). ”

FIRST MATCH (ST PATRICKS 1 vs GLEN BRAE) RESULTS

“ I was never able to watch the full game, but they said they won against Glen Brae, 4-0. ”

SECOND MATCH (ST PATRICKS 2 vs GLEN BRAE)

“ After we practised and ate a bit, Mr. Bell then called us on our second match, we stood up and got ready for the match. We were battling Glen Brae, the one that St Patricks 1 fought. We weren’t scared since the members of St Patricks 1 said they were easy to beat. But during the match they were like ‘ We would never lose again!

’. They were confident, they played well and we did too, beating them 4-2, again(In points). After the match they immediately took off and weren’t able to do the handshake line. ”

POINTS AFTER OUR SECOND MATCH

“ We are doing amazing, we’re beating our enemies every time, we are confident that we’re gonna win. Our points are 4, St Patricks 1 has 2. Truly amazing, even St Patricks 1s. ”

SECOND MATCH (ST PATRICKS 1 vs GLEN INNES)

St Patricks 1 wasn’t so lucky, they were beaten by Glen Innes by 5-2(I’m still not sure if this is the correct scoreline). ”

THIRD MATCH (ST PATS. 1 vs ST PATS. 2)

“ It’s the third match, the match where we would have to fight each other. Back at school our team always won, so we weren’t scared about losing. A few moments later, the match ended 5-3. We said goodbye to them since they’re now in 7th place, whilst we’re in 3rd. ”

SEMIFINALS (ST PATS. 2 vs STONEFIELDS)

“ It’s the semi-finals, we shouldn’t have eaten those (nude)foods.. Anyways, in the beginning of the match we were immediately losing, maybe around 2-0. But Willietonie, Jacob and the team never gave up, after a couple of times we scored 6-4 against Stonefields, that’s why we don’t ever give up in life. After the match we did the handshake line again, Good Game, Stonefields. ”

FINALS (ST PATRICKS 2 vs  GLEN BRAE 3)

“ It’s the finals, we’re scared and brave at the same time, maybe 50/50. The other team was Glen Brae? I thought they lost already… I guess not. They were so fast, very fast. It was nearly impossible. After a bit of time, we were able to score 5, but they scored 8… we were never able to beat them, but GGs(Good Game). ”

MY FINAL THOUGHTS

Mr. Bell said that last year the boys barely won a match,  and now we have improved. We did better, we won all matches except for the finals, Mr. Bell said “We only lost to the best team, so we should be proud since we lost to the best team”. Overall, we did pretty well reaching the 2nd place.